Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Needle Crafting Group.

Way back in April, I was looking for a group to crochet with. I searched, and I searched, and I searched but I could not find a group in my city. Yes, I found some in Corona, Upland, Claremont, Redlands, and Riverside, but not in Ontario. So I went to MeetUp.com and continued to look. Again, I did not find a group in Ontario. I was disappointed. My Boyfriend, was so understanding. He supported me by donating the fees to create a group--there is a fee on MeetUp.com to create a group-- and start finding others who enjoy needle crafting. I named my group Dinner & Skeins. The whole point of group is to get get together and stitch. It does not matter if you knit, crochet, loom, hand quilt, embroider, sew, sometime it is fun to do it with other people.

So far, we have had two meeting. I am trying to keep the meetings on the third Wednesday of every month and it has been a blast. I hold it at a Pizza/Sports Bar called Michael Angelos's Pizza. The cost of a meal is about $10.00 so it is not expensive. The way I look at it, yarn is expensive, to crochet should not be. I have yet to have over ten people show up, but with time, I know I will. Each group has been different people, but the energy is so high. I think we have so much fun.

We eat, we joke, we laugh, we ask questions about what we are working on, we stitch. Oh course we show off. Like a goober, I forgot to take pictures. That can happen when you are having too much fun. lol. But here is the run down:

  • Michael brought in his Sackboy amigurumi. They were so cute. He taught himself how to crochet because his son wanted a Sackboy action figure. He has only been crocheting for a year, but it looks like he has been doing it for his entire life. He sells them on Etsy, so here is his store front, MiCrochet, go check him out.
  • Martha brought in a knit cable blanket that she completed. It was four different colors and used ten skeins of yarn at a time. She also is making a "cable" crochet blanket for her grandson. It is awesome. The colors of the afghan are heather grey, lime green, and a hint of black.
  • Liz, who has an alter ego by the name of, CroDiva, brought in the squares for a square. I forgot what group they were from, but the name of the swap for this month is "Wine Tasting." Liz will crochet forty squares and then mail them to a member of the swap. That person will then assembly them. How cool is that?
  • Jacob came and he brought Scott. Jacob wants to learn how to crochet so we were all giving him pointers. He is doing a great job, and in time he will be a pro.
  • Sally, who works were we meet got off work early and joined our group. She is making an American flag Afghan that she wants to have completed for July Fourth. She started five years ago and hopes to have it finished this year. I think she can do it.
  • Last, there was me. I worked on my baby bibs, and helped when there are question.
Any hoot. Our next one will be on Wednesday, July 20, 2011. Come on out and join us.
Our Fan Page

No comments:

Post a Comment