Saturday, June 18, 2011

Charity: To Be Bless, is to Give

I take crochet classes at Joann's all the time. I sign up for every class they offer, as long as I have not taken it before. So while taking the classes, I meet awesome women and men, who enjoy crocheting or are starting to enjoy crocheting. One of the crocheters is Marcie. Marcie and her husband are truly awesome. They are both retired and have set out to give back to their community through their church. They both make scarves for the homeless, he looms, she crochets. They both work at a food bank. They both participate in community outreach programs. One of the outreach programs is, Bridges Program for Girls. It in focus on at-risk teen mothers and is ran through Alternate Avenues.

The state of California has made it illegal for minors to get an abortion, without parental consent. Minors who attempt to get abortions are turned away, some clinics will recommend family services, therapy, our groups to help the minor decide on what she will do. Marcie's works with Bridges Program for Girls to help the young women. They help the girls decide if they want to keep the child or give it up for adoption. They offer therapy, parenting classes, and activities for the soon to be mothers and fathers. As a member of the group, the soon to be parents earn "vouchers" to purchase items for the new born. They earn the vouchers by attending the organized events, going to the prenatal check ups, and staying healthy. I wanted to help.

Two months ago, I took a class on how to crochet a baby bib. There are not enough babies wearing crochet baby bibs and there definitely should be more. The bibs are very easy and take about 2-3 hours from start to finish. They are made from 100% cotton yarn, so they can be thrown into the washing machine. To get my family to participate I created a Facebook photo album where they can suggest the border for the bib. The album cover is the picture below.

Click here to go to the Facebook Album
I have been making bibs, for about a month now, all for charity. I am trying to make fifty, as of this morning I have 32. I am close, so I hope to get there soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment